Washington is buzzing with finger-pointing, bruised egos, and behind-the-scenes drama after Kristi Noem was pushed out as Secretary of Homeland Security — and the competing stories about why are getting louder by the hour.
Allies of the outgoing secretary are now scrambling to reshape the narrative after Donald Trump announced she will leave the post by the end of the month. Their message: Noem wasn’t the problem — she just didn’t get the backing she needed from the White House.
But insiders say the truth is far messier.
According to reporting from Reagan Reese of the The Daily Caller, Noem privately complained late last year that the Trump administration wasn’t standing behind her.
One official told Reese that tensions peaked near the end of 2025.
“Noem told Trump and his White House that she was not getting the support she needed.”
The same source said Trump initially tried to patch things up.
“Trump agreed and stepped in to help,”
and for a brief stretch the relationship improved.
But the détente didn’t last. After federal agents fatally shot two Americans during a tense incident in Minneapolis, Noem reportedly felt abandoned by the administration.
“Noem felt that she was thrown under the bus.”
Another explosive flashpoint involved a massive taxpayer-funded ad campaign that featured Noem herself. The campaign — reportedly worth $220 million — drew scrutiny in Washington, especially because Noem appeared prominently in the ads. One official pushed back on Trump’s claim that he had no knowledge of the project.
“The White House was aware of Noem’s ad contract,”
the official said, adding:
“Senior White House officials were even involved in getting the funds approved.”
But Trump shot down that version of events. Speaking to Reuters on Thursday, he flatly rejected Noem’s assertion that he had signed off on the advertising blitz.
Not everyone inside the administration is buying Noem’s defense. Another official speaking to Reese dismissed her complaints entirely.
“Laughable that Kristi is trying to blame her own self-inflicted issues on someone else. The issues that led to Kristi’s replacement were a result of her own wrongdoings, not a lack of support from the White House.”
The drama escalated further when Jacqui Heinrich of Fox News reported that the decision to push Noem out wasn’t about one controversy — it was about several.
According to Heinrich, the move came from:
“a combination of her many unfortunate leadership failures, from Minnesota, to the ad campaign, to the allegations of an affair.”
That alleged affair reportedly involved longtime Trump political operative Corey Lewandowski, who has also been pushed out.
One of the most controversial moments came when Congress questioned Noem about roughly $200 million in advertising she authorized.
The ads featured the homeland security chief riding horseback near Mount Rushmore while promoting border security efforts.
During testimony, Heinrich said Noem insisted the president had approved the campaign — a claim that appears to contradict Trump’s own account.
“Secretary Noem was questioned about the $200 million in advertising that she authorized that featured her prominently on horseback at Mount Rushmore. It was an ad campaign about border security. And she told Congress that the president approved of that campaign, even though apparently he did not.”
The controversies didn’t stop there.
Heinrich also reported that when confronted about the Lewandowski allegations, Noem did not deny having a sexual relationship with him.












