
Former Good Morning America anchor Janai Norman has found something deeply problematic at her old network.
No, not a fabricated story. Not evidence being suppressed. Not even a factual error.
A question.
Norman, whose 15-year run at ABC ended in April when the network declined to renew her contract, is publicly ripping ABC News and former colleague Michael Strahan over the network’s coverage of the mysterious death of 18-year-old Nolan Wells in Mississippi. And Norman’s critique doesn’t stop at calling Strahan’s questioning insensitive.
She says news organizations that report the case without sufficiently incorporating Mississippi’s racial history risk becoming “complicit in upholding white supremacy.”
That’s quite an accusation. Especially because the Wells case really does contain unanswered questions worthy of aggressive journalism.
Wells disappeared during a July Fourth trip with friends to Horn Island, an uninhabited barrier island off Mississippi’s Gulf Coast. His body was recovered two days later.
His friends have maintained that Wells chose to remain on the island when they departed. His parents have repeatedly said they don’t believe their son would have done that — particularly without his cellphone and keys.
Authorities in Mississippi have found a body believed to be missing teen Nolan Xavier Wells, 18, who was last seen on Horn Island on July 4.
ABC News’ Alex Perez has the latest. pic.twitter.com/GgyYQHmhSf
— ABC News (@ABC) July 6, 2026
During GMA’s interview with Wells’ parents, Strahan asked why they believed their son would “stay behind.” Norman objected to the premise. “The question should have been, ‘Do you believe that?’” she said.
Norman argued that asking the parents to explain why Wells stayed behind effectively required grieving parents to defend a decision that has not independently been established as fact.
“That was not an objective question,” she said, adding that she considered it “insensitive.”
The friends’ account is an account. It isn’t necessarily a proven fact. But then Norman takes a rather large leap.
Norman accused news organizations of relying too readily on law enforcement as authoritative sources and argued that such practices contribute to racial division. She then invoked Mississippi’s history of lynchings and the Wells family’s questions surrounding his cellphone.
“By ignoring that context,” Norman said, “news organizations become complicit in upholding white supremacy.”
She added that this can occur “whether intentionally or unintentionally.”
Now we’ve gone from: Was Strahan’s question poorly phrased?
To: ABC News is helping uphold white supremacy.
Here’s where this story needs considerably more care than social media usually provides.
Wells’ parents have legitimate questions that have not yet been resolved. Why did their son supposedly remain on an uninhabited island while the people he arrived with left? Why did his cellphone return to shore without him? What happened to the material his family says appeared to be missing from the phone?
And why has that phone still not undergone the joint forensic examination that the family and local prosecutor previously discussed? That last point is particularly important because it is new today.
Nearly a month after an agreement was reached concerning examination of Wells’ cellphone, People reported Friday that the device still has not been analyzed because the family and district attorney disagree over how the examination should be conducted.
The family believes the phone may contain critical evidence about Wells’ final hours. His friends deny deleting anything. One friend has said leaving phones on the boat was common because people didn’t want them damaged by water.
And there’s another crucial fact: The official cause of Wells’ death has not yet been publicly established.
A private autopsy commissioned by the family reportedly found no significant traumatic injuries but could not determine a cause of death. The official autopsy remains pending, and prosecutors have said the investigation will ultimately be presented to a grand jury. So anybody confidently announcing exactly what happened to Nolan Wells is getting ahead of the evidence.
The story has also moved well beyond local Mississippi authorities. Rep. Lucy McBath and other members of the Congressional Black Caucus are calling for federal involvement, while civil-rights attorney Ben Crump represents the Wells family.
McBath joined Wells’ parents Friday in demanding greater transparency and an independent federal review. The parents continue to reject the suggestion that their son simply decided to stay behind. At the same time, Wells’ friends have faced an increasingly ugly public backlash.
Some say they’ve received threats and harassment. Three people have reportedly been arrested over threats connected to the case, including one involving Wells’ mother.
That’s another reason journalism needs to be careful. A mysterious death deserves investigation. It does not justify declaring people murderers based on internet speculation.
DBS WIRE SOURCES:
- Mediaite — Ex-ABC anchor trashes network over handling of Nolan Wells story: ‘Complicit in upholding white supremacy’
- New York Post — Ousted ‘GMA’ anchor torches ABC News and Michael Strahan over Nolan Wells coverage
- TheWrap — Ex-‘GMA’ anchor Janai Norman takes aim at ABC News over ‘insensitive’ coverage
- People — Nolan Wells’ phone still hasn’t been analyzed amid dispute over logistics
- People — Nolan Wells’ death prompts calls for federal investigation
- CBS News — Nolan Wells’ parents say they don’t believe he chose to stay behind












