
FBI
In yet another development in the disturbing disappearance of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie, sources close to the investigation say one of the haunting doorbell images released by the FBI wasn’t captured the same day as the others.
The masked suspect may have been lurking around the Tucson home before Guthrie vanished in the early morning hours of Feb. 1.
According to Fox News and a source familiar with the probe, at least one of the stills pulled from Guthrie’s Nest camera system predates the night she was allegedly taken. The exact date? Authorities aren’t saying. The investigation remains active, and those in the know are keeping their cards close to the vest.
But the implication is chilling: this may not have been some spur-of-the-moment crime. It may have been a calculated operation.
Retired FBI Supervisory Special Agent Jason Pack didn’t mince words when weighing in on what it means if the suspect was indeed scouting ahead of time.
“That’s sophistication. That’s the hallmark of someone who thought about this before they acted. And it matters significantly from a legal standpoint, because premeditation and planning elevate the severity of what investigators are looking at,” Pack said. “The suspect in this case may have thought they were being careful. But appearing twice on camera while trying to avoid identification isn’t careful. That’s exposure. And right now, investigators are working very hard to close that gap.”
Law enforcement has been casting a wide net, urging Tucson residents to comb through their own security footage — not just from the night of Jan. 31 into Feb. 1, but stretching back through January and specifically Jan. 11. That broader timeline now looks less random and more intentional.
Interestingly, the suspected “casing” visit was first reported by ABC News, citing unnamed insiders. Meanwhile, local officials are urging caution.
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos has publicly distanced himself from the suggestion that any images were taken on separate days. After initial silence, the sheriff’s department issued a pointed clarification.
“We are aware that doorbell images released earlier in the investigation depict a suspect in different stages of attire, including with and without a backpack,” the PCSD said in a statement. “There is no date or time stamp associated with these images. Therefore, any suggestion that the photographs were taken on different days is purely speculative.”
Sheriff Nanos echoed that sentiment in a separate interview, saying:
“It is all speculative for someone to suggest that that photo is from a different day. That’s all it is, is speculation. We understand the thinking behind it, but right now we have no evidence to suggest that that occurred that day or days before.”
And he added:
“We cannot tell you it’s a different day. We don’t know that. It’s under the, it’s still under investigation.”
In other words, authorities are not confirming the timeline — but they aren’t ruling it out either.
The technical breadcrumbs are just as troubling. Guthrie’s doorbell camera went offline at 1:47 a.m. the night she disappeared, according to investigators. Just 25 minutes later, at 2:12 a.m., another camera at the residence detected movement — but failed to record video.
If federal investigators were able to retrieve more than the final moments stored on the device, it suggests deeper digital digging — potentially through cooperation with tech giants — uncovering earlier data.
Adding to the mystery, experts have already raised eyebrows over differences in the suspect’s appearance across the images. In some frames, the masked figure appears armed and equipped with a backpack. In others, the gear is missing. Was it the same individual? Or are investigators dealing with multiple actors?
For now, officials insist the timeline remains unproven. But if the masked stranger was prowling the property days — or weeks — before the crime, it paints a darker portrait: deliberate, methodical, and brazen.












