BS BULLETIN
- Salman Ahmed Elmi, honored by Minnesota DHS with a 2021 Outstanding Refugee Award, now faces eight felony counts in an alleged Medicaid fraud scheme.
- Prosecutors allege the scheme involved more than $1 million in improper Medicaid billing; two other people connected to the alleged fraud have also been charged in a separate sex-trafficking case.
- Minnesota says the award program ended in 2024 and stressed that Elmi’s alleged conduct does not represent the state’s refugee community.
There are stories that practically write their own punchline, and Minnesota has delivered another one.
Salman Ahmed Elmi, an entrepreneur once publicly celebrated by the Minnesota Department of Human Services as an “outstanding refugee,” is now facing eight felony charges in an alleged Medicaid fraud scheme — a case made even more remarkable by its connections to defendants charged in a separate sex-trafficking investigation.
FOX 9 Minneapolis reported Tuesday that Elmi faces three counts of aiding and abetting theft by swindle and five counts of aiding and abetting theft by false representation. The case involves alleged fraudulent billing of Minnesota’s Medicaid program totaling more than $1 million. These are allegations, and Elmi has not been convicted of the charges, yet. But the backstory has turned the case into political dynamite.
In 2021, Minnesota DHS honored Elmi with an Outstanding Refugee Award for entrepreneurship. In an archived state profile quoted by Fox News, Elmi described himself as someone trying to change his family’s understanding of the American dream. “I started a business to help inspire other people,” he said. “No one owns businesses in my family; my entire family came here with the idea that the American dream was just getting a job and making it work, so shifting that mindset was difficult but important.”
Now prosecutors are presenting a very different picture. According to FOX 9’s reporting, the charges involve Medicaid-funded services and allege that Elmi participated in fraudulent billing through businesses involved in Minnesota’s health-care system. And then the story takes another turn.
FOX 9 reports that two people connected to the alleged fraud have also been charged in a separate sex-trafficking case involving alleged brothels. That does not mean Elmi himself has been charged with sex trafficking. Still, the combination of allegations surrounding the case — taxpayer-funded health care, alleged fraud and defendants separately accused in a sex-trafficking operation — quickly produced an explosion of reaction online.
Benny Johnson zeroed in on the uncomfortable irony that Minnesota DHS was both the state agency that honored Elmi and an agency with a major role in administering Medicaid.
“The same agency that awarded Elmi is the SAME agency that gives out Medicaid payments,” Johnson wrote. “You can’t make this up.”
ACT for America founder Brigitte Gabriel offered a much broader criticism, writing: “When the system celebrates the looters, you have a culture problem.”
Minnesota DHS strongly pushed back against treating Elmi’s case as representative of refugees generally. “Salman Elmi’s alleged actions are disturbing and do not reflect the goal of the Outstanding Refugee Awards,” a DHS spokesperson told Fox News. “They also do not represent Minnesota’s refugee community.”
The agency said the Outstanding Refugee Awards were discontinued in 2024 and emphasized that recipients didn’t receive cash prizes — only a certificate and plaque. “The value came from the opportunity to recognize the courage, resilience and entrepreneurship of refugees and their children, and to recognize their contributions to the state,” DHS said.
But the Elmi charges arrive at an especially awkward moment for Minnesota because fraud involving public programs has become a major statewide issue.
Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison’s office said earlier this year that fraud referrals to its Medicaid Fraud Control Unit had nearly tripled, prompting bipartisan legislation to expand the unit from 32 employees to 50 and strengthen investigators’ authority.
The state ultimately enacted the Medical Assistance Protection Act this year, expanding the conduct covered by Minnesota’s Medicaid fraud statutes, increasing potential penalties for high-dollar cases, extending the statute of limitations and adding Medicaid fraud to the state’s racketeering law.
Ellison’s office says its Medicaid Fraud Control Unit has secured more than 340 convictions and approximately $90 million in judgments and recoveries since 2019. And the cases keep coming.
In December 2023, the Attorney General’s Office announced what was then its largest Medicaid fraud prosecution, accusing three defendants of participating in an alleged $11 million scheme involving home health-care companies.
Six months later, prosecutors announced additional cases involving more than $10 million in alleged Medicaid fraud. In one of those schemes, prosecutors alleged that a Medicaid provider operated for years from a mailbox while billing millions of dollars and that defendants diverted money toward luxury cars, clothing and other personal expenses.
In May of this year, state investigators worked with the FBI and federal health-care investigators on another round of indictments involving providers accused of billing Medicaid for services that either weren’t delivered or weren’t eligible for reimbursement. So while the “outstanding refugee” angle makes Elmi’s case particularly eye-catching, the larger Minnesota Medicaid fraud problem is well documented.
That also makes the state’s response worth noting.
Ellison has argued that Minnesota isn’t ignoring Medicaid fraud but prosecuting it aggressively. When announcing another seven defendants in June, he said: “I have no patience for anyone who would steal our tax dollars, especially when those tax dollars are meant to provide health care for low-income Minnesotans who couldn’t afford it otherwise.”
That same announcement noted something revealing about the workload facing investigators: Minnesota has expanded its fraud-fighting operation precisely because the volume of cases has become so significant.
Which brings us back to Salman Ahmed Elmi.
The most sensational part of the story is irresistible: a man once presented by the state as an example of entrepreneurial success is now accused of participating in a million-dollar-plus fraud scheme with connections to people facing separate sex-trafficking charges.
But the more important question for Minnesota taxpayers extends beyond one award recipient. How did allegedly fraudulent providers continue getting taxpayer money, what safeguards failed to detect questionable billing sooner, and are Minnesota’s newly strengthened fraud laws and expanded investigative teams finally enough to close the gaps?
OUTSTANDING REFUGEE? 😂🤣Salman Elmi was celebrated by Minnesota as an “Outstanding Refugee” in 2021.
The Minnesota Department of Human Services handed him their Entrepreneurship Award. They profiled him as a success story — Somali refugee who came with his parents, founded… pic.twitter.com/fMCXC6VOKB
— Michael R. Herron Esq. (@MHerronLaw) August 18, 2026
DBS WIRE SOURCES:
- Fox News — Minnesota ‘outstanding refugee’ honoree accused in fraud scheme tied to sex trafficking: ‘Can’t make this up’
- FOX 9 Minneapolis — Medicaid fraud tied to Minneapolis sex trafficking ring
- Minnesota Attorney General — Medicaid fraud charges against seven as part of National Health Care Fraud Takedown Day
- Minnesota Attorney General — Bipartisan bill cracking down on Medicaid fraud
- Minnesota Attorney General — Medical Assistance Protection Act expands Minnesota’s fraud laws













